There are many ways to add new items to your inventory
- Send a spreadsheet to the Lightspeed support team and have them upload the items for you. You should do this if you have many items to upload into your system.
- You can use a spreadsheet yourself to import your items into a purchase order to bring the items into your inventory
- You can import items one at a time from a vendor catalog
How to create a new item manually:
- From the main menu: click Inventory > New Item.
- Give the item a Description
- Give the item a type. For instance, you can choose from Single, Box, Assembly, OR Non-Inventory. Note: Single items are unique items that do not come with any other components, box items come in a collection of single items (a dozen golf balls), assembly items represent a group different items that come together in one package, and non-inventory is used to represent service or membership fees, green fees.
- Select single item and check serial number if it comes with a
- Determine pricing and discount rules
- Input inventory defaults including vendor and item cost
- You can set up automatic re-ordering if you want Lightspeed to automatically re-order when the inventory decreases to a certain point
- Associate the correct category, manufacturer, and keyword tags to the item to make it easier to search for in the database
- Save changes and note that Lightspeed automatically generates a System ID for the item
- You can also add UPC, EAN, and SKU's to the product alongside the System ID
Now that your item exists
- Add inventory and change inventory costs under the inventory tab
- Assign Vendor ID's if your product comes from multiple vendors
- You can track sales, layaways, customer and vendor returns, and other statistics
- You can see the history of inventory changes
- You can merge items together